Texas Medical Center
In 1945 the Texas Medical Center was formed, partly through MD funding. The first gift of the fund was a $1,000 check for eyeglasses to the Junior League Eye Fund, made by businessman Monroe Dunaway Anderson. In 1941, the Texas State Legislature provided the University of Texas with funding to establish the hospital for cancer research.
The M.D. Anderson Foundation aligned the State with University donations through the provision of funding and the land, provided the hospital had its name in Houston.The Texas Medical Center (TMC) — the world's biggest medical area — is a leader in the development of life sciences.
In medicine, TMC promotes collaboration, creativity, and innovation across the institutions, since together; it can push the limits of what's possible. This is the largest hospital for children in the world and the largest hospital for cancer worldwide. Every 20 minutes, TMC delivers a baby which results in around 26,280 births per calendar year.
Every three minutes TMC starts an operation The leaders throughout the community of the TMC have come together for the first time in the history of the Texas Medical Center in a visionary initiative to promote the future generation of life sciences. Its goal: to be a world leader in health and life science in a shared, centrally managed environment by using the collective power of renowned TMC institutions. The result is a collaborative research project, unlike anything TMC has ever known or seen.